Barcelona’s manager Ernesto Valverde has stated that talks about forward Antoine Griezmann are “ongoing” with Atletico Madrid. One year after he signed a contract extension with Los Colchoneros, the Frenchman announced he was ready to leave the team this summer and all the speculation has taken Griezmann to be linked with Spanish giants Barcelona.
The 28-year-old player reportedly has a £108m release clause in his new contract, and the Evening Standard reports that the Blaugrana are prepared to pay the clause in full in order to land the World Cup winner. Valverde himself admitted prior to his side’s clash with Eibar on Sunday that negotiations had already begun.
“It is true we have already made contacts,” Valverde said. “It is true that contacts are ongoing, but the season isn’t over yet.
“We have the Copa del Rey final still to play. We have the chance of winning two titles and we must try to focus on this issue. Afterward, we will have time for everything else – we won’t say anything new when we are talking about players from other teams.
“We will see (what happens). He (Griezmann) is a great player. We’ve always said so.”
Ver esta publicación en Instagram
If they pull off this signing, Barcelona will have to face another obstacle, but this time inside the club, as some players remain unhappy with the potential arrival of the Frenchman. We have to recall that last year, with all the rumors indicating he was going to join Barcelona, Antoine snubbed a move to Camp Nou in a video called ‘The Decision’.
However, the Catalonians will start to love this guy as soon as he starts doing the things he’s done for Atleti in the past couple of seasons. This term he scored 15 league goals to take his side to a second place finish, and 21 in all competitions.