After just one season with the Los Angeles Clippers, Paul George committed to a long-term extension that will keep him in town for at least the next five seasons.
Unfortunately for the Clippers, they can expect no such commitment from Kawhi Leonard -- at least, not yet.
In a chat with the media on Monday, the 2x NBA Champion discussed his future, pretty much confirming that he will opt out of the last year of his deal and enter free agency in 2021.
"Just for my situation right now, I'm just focused on this season," Leonard said Monday. "Not saying I'm going anywhere else or staying here, but I'm just focused on the season.
Obviously, if I'm healthy, the best decision is to decline the player option. But that doesn't mean I'm leaving or staying. I'm focused on the season, like I said. We'll talk about that when the time is right."
Honestly, the decision to opt-out isn't all that surprising and it's a move we've all come to expect from max-level players.
Still, Kawhi's refusal to commit past this season really puts pressure on the Clippers to take care of business over these next couple of months. Considering their disappointing and border-line embarrassing campaign in 2020, following it up with another failed run will not bode well for their chances to keep Leonard in town.
The 29-year-old superstar, who is on his third team in three years, has already proven he is not afraid to jump ship.