The Los Angeles Lakers are oriented around two players: LeBron James and Anthony Davis.
It is behind the play and leadership of those two that has the team squarely tucked away at the top of the Western Conference. And it is behind them that the Lakers will make their playoff run.
But when it comes to depth and what makes the Lakers so lethal, it seems the team has done a good job building a supporting cast that fits their two superstars. Alex Caruso, for example, is making a real difference out there -- and no, it's not a joke.
Though his name has become a meme in the past few weeks and months, he and LeBron James dominate the floor together. In fact, according to advanced stats, the Bron and Caruso duo is actually the best in the NBA.
"The preternatural chemistry displayed here is a common occurrence when James and Caruso share the floor," writes Pete Zaya of The Athletic. "Not only is their +24.7 net rating (in 445 minutes) the highest mark among the Lakers’ duos, it’s the best net rating of any pairing in the NBA that’s played at least 150 minutes together."
James and Caruso are beating out some really great pairings with their play together, including Giannis/Bledsoe and Westbrook/Covington. Here is the full top ten list:
10. Giannis Antetokounmpo & Eric Bledsoe (+20 Net RTG)
9. Khris Middleton & Donte DiVincenzo (+20.1 Net RTG)
8. Danny Green & Alex Caruso (+ 20.4 Net RTG)
7. Brook Lopez & Sterling Brown (+21.7 Net RTG)
6. Enes Kanter & Grant Williams (+22.2 Net RTG)
5. Robin Lopez & Wesley Matthews (+22.6 Net RTG)
4. Russell Westbrook & Robert Covington (+22.7 Net RTG)
3. George Hill & Sterling Brown (+24.6 Net RTG)
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo & Sterling Brown (+24.6 Net RTG)
1. LeBron James & Alex Caruso (+24.7 Net RTG)
So while Caruso is far from being the Lakers' best player, he is definitely making a big impact for them. The chemistry he has developed with his teammates is honestly impressive.
Hopefully, it will continue to yield good results for them in the playoffs.