What a fight we have going on in the final game of the regular season for the final 2 spots in the East! You, like us, were wondering "Who would be matched up against the Cavs and Celtics in the first round?" So you went to check out the standings and as you look you saw the conundrum and got confused. Rather than trying to figure it out yourself, let me help you break it down,
Here are the scenarios.
Some quick notes:
- Golden State locked the No. 1 seed and home court throughout the playoffs. Most of the West is locked.
- The following series are locked in the Western Conference: (2) Spurs vs. (7) Grizzlies, (3) Rockets vs. (6) Thunder, (4/5) Jazz vs. (5/4) Clippers (home court TBD), (1) Golden State vs. (8) Portland.
- The following series are locked in the Eastern Conference: (3) Raptors vs. (6) Bucks, (4) Wizards vs. (5) Hawks.
- The Clippers and Jazz won Monday, so home court will go down to Wednesday night. A Clippers win or Jazz loss would secure home court for L.A.
- The Raptors and Wizards are locked as the Nos. 3 and 4 in the Eastern Conference.
- The Cavaliers, in profoundly silly style, lost twice to Atlanta over the weekend and after resting players vs. Miami, now are one game back of the No. 1 seed.
- Boston controls its destiny for the top seed. Win, and the Celtics have home court throughout the East. They also get the first seed with a Cavs loss.
- The Eastern Conference ... is where things go nuts.
Eastern Conference scenarios
No. 1 vs. No. 2 seed
- If the Cavs lose: The Celtics are the first seed.
- If the Cavs win and Boston wins: The Celtics are the first seed.
- If the Cavs win and Boston loses: The Cavs are the first seed.
No. 3 seed goes to the Raptors (locked)
No. 4 seed goes to the Wizards (locked).
No. 5 seed goes to the Hawks (locked)
No. 6 seed goes to the Bucks (locked).
Nos. 7 and 8
Season series head to head: Bulls 2 -1 Heat / Heat 2-1 Pacers / Pacers 2-1 Bulls
The Pacers can finish seventh, eighth or out entirely. Now, if the Pacers lose, things go bonkers. The Heat and Bulls both have tiebreakers, and both win three-way ties. Here are the scenarios:
- If Pacers win, Bulls win, Heat win, Pacers 7, Bulls 8, Heat out.
- If Pacers win, Bulls win, Heat lose, Pacers 7, Bulls 8, Heat out.
- If Pacers win, Bulls lose, Heat lose, Pacers 7, Bulls 8, Heat out
- If Pacers win, Bulls lose, Heat win, Pacers 7, Heat 8, Bulls out.
- If Pacers lose, Bulls win, Heat win, Bulls 7, Heat 8, Pacers out.
- If Pacers lose, Bulls lose, Heat win, Heat 7, Pacers 8, Bulls out.
- If Pacers lose, Bulls win, Heat lose, It's Bulls 7, Pacers 8, Heat out.
- if Pacers lose, Bulls lose, Heat lose, it's Pacers 7, Bulls 8, Heat out.
Advantage right now for the 7th seed is towards the Bulls as they face the worst team in the NBA the Nets and to top it off the Nets are sitting out Lin, Lopez, Acy, Booker, Harris and Kilpatrick.
The advantage for 8th seed goes to the Heat as they face off against the Wizards, a better team, but the Wiz are sitting out Beal, Wall Morris, and Mahinmi.