The Sacramento Kings have been in a complicated position for the better part of the past two years. After DeMar DeRozan‘s buyout, the Kings’ rebuild seemed to be heading in the right direction as Zach LaVine appeared to be next in line. Now, the situation has taken another turn.
Rumors about Zach LaVine’s buyout negotiations with the Kings suggested that the All-Star guard’s time in Sacramento had come to an end. However, according to a recent report by James Ham on a recent episode of “Locked On Kings,” LaVine may remain on the Kings’ roster going into the new season. Ham mentioned:
“We spent a ton of time talking about Zach LaVine during Friday’s show, stemming from some interesting aggregation of something I may or may not have said with my friends over at ESPN 1320. Some of the things I said, some of the things I did not say. Following the show, I had a conversation with the league source within the walls to further clarify where Zach LaVine and the Kings are as of right now.”
“So, according to that source, the Kings have no thought of buying out Zach LaVine at this time. They also plan on him coming back and being ready to have a big year in what is a contract season for him. According to that source, LaVine is aligned with this thinking.”
Although there was enough reason to believe the Kings were ready to move on from Zach LaVine, it appears the All-Star guard will return to play out the final year of his $48.9 million contract with the team.
It was always unlikely that Sacramento would agree to a buyout deal, primarily because of the sheer amount owed to LaVine. However, the guard aligning with the Kings’ thinking and direction was totally unexpected.
What Does Zach LaVine’s Return Mean For The Kings?
Zach LaVine has made a name for himself as an elite offensive threat in the NBA. While boasting phenomenal athletic ability, LaVine pairs his inherent talent with a remarkable skill set that includes multi-level scoring and slashing.
On paper, LaVine is the complete offensive package. Unfortunately, the 2025-26 season was less than favorable for the Kings’ superstar, who struggled to establish a rhythm. Given that he averaged 19.2 points, 2.8 rebounds, and 2.3 assists per game on 47.9% shooting from the field and 39.0% from three-point range, the previous campaign is definitely one he would prefer to forget.
So what does the future hold for Zach LaVine?
If LaVine returns to the Kings, which seems like the most probable outcome, LaVine will be paired with Kings rookie Darius Acuff Jr. in the backcourt. Acuff Jr. brings a lot to the table with his offensive versatility. Hence, pairing him with a veteran star like LaVine would help Sacramento showcase a dynamic backcourt with tremendous scoring ability.
In theory, this could be quite promising. By the same token, however, such a pairing also raises concerns about the Kings’ defensive integrity, as LaVine is often criticized for his lack of defensive involvement.
Realistically, Zach LaVine’s return doesn’t necessarily hint at a promising future for the Kings. Given that the team ended the regular season with one of the worst records in the NBA, bringing back LaVine, who underwent season-ending surgery earlier in the year, does not seem like a wise decision.
Alternatively, this could hint at Sacramento’s intentions to give LaVine a chance to boost his value early in the campaign. Since a trade remains on the cards, the Kings could look to get a haul in return for the 31-year-old if he garners some interest. Even if he doesn’t, however, Sacramento may still stand to benefit from the future cap flexibility they gain once his contract expires next summer.


