Pistons Shut Down Jalen Duren’s Sign-And-Trade Hopes Amid Lakers, Celtics Interest

The Detroit Pistons have reportedly declared their intention to match any offers that Jalen Duren gets in free agency and want to shut down all hopes of any sign-and-trade scenarios with other teams.

5 Min Read
Dec 16, 2024; Detroit, Michigan, USA; Detroit Pistons center Jalen Duren (0) reacts in the first half against the Miami Heat at Little Caesars Arena. Mandatory Credit: Rick Osentoski-Imagn Images

The Detroit Pistons’ All-Star Jalen Duren was among the most highly anticipated players to potentially be on the move this summer despite being a restricted free agent. There were reports of potential sign-and-trade scenarios heating up as contract negotiations stalled between the two parties.

According to Andscape’s senior NBA insider, Marc J. Spears, the Pistons are now reportedly no longer entertaining any sign-and-trade offers for their All-Star, even after reportedly being unwilling to give him a max extension.

“The Detroit Pistons have offered what the franchise believes is the most lucrative contract possible for their All-Star restricted free agent Jalen Duren, are not interested in any sign-and-trade deals, and will match any potential offer sheet he signs,” wrote Spears on X.

This update comes hours after it was reported that Duren is taking calls from several teams, including the Lakers, and is apparently also interested in going to Boston to play with Jayson Tatum on the Celtics. NBA insider Jake L. Fischer reported earlier today that the Pistons’ All-Star is intrigued by the idea of heading to the Celtics as well.

“So far, I have been told that the Pistons don’t really have interest in signing and trading Jalen Duren at all, but the gap in negotiations is big enough that Duren is out here meeting with Sacramento and with the Lakers. And I do believe I have been told that Duran has an interest in going to Boston if those talks could happen.”

While the talks with the Kings broke down over the lack of the Pistons wanting Domantas Sabonis in return (per Sam Amick of The Athletic), the Lakers and the Celtics could be realistic landing spots for Duren.

“And the longer that Jaylen Brown lingers and looms out there as being available, I do wonder if the Detroit Pistons would talk themselves into, ‘man, we can’t find a resolution here with Duren, would bringing back an MVP candidate and Jaylen Brown be something that makes sense for us,'” Fischer added.

“I do wonder if that’s not something that’s going to happen tonight, but if we wake up on Friday and Jalen Duren is still unsigned, we know how this restricted free agency dynamic can stretch out,” said Fischer during the livestream of Bleacher Report’s Insider Notebook.

The Celtics were seemingly looking for elite big men this summer for Jaylen Brown, and Duren could be the perfect fit for them. Playing alongside an MVP candidate in Cade Cunningham, Duren had the best season of his career.

He averaged 19.5 points, 10.5 rebounds, and 2.0 assists while shooting 65.0% from the field to earn his first All-Star selection in the 2025-26 regular season. And while his playoff run was rather unmemorable, it was valuable experience for a young star with tremendous upside in terms of talent.

The Pistons have extended him a $9.62 million qualifying offer, making him a restricted free agent. While Duren was seeking a contract where he earns $40 million per year.

What is unclear is why the Pistons allowed for there to be this gap in the negotiations in the first place if they were willing to offer the maximum amount they could and match any other offers in the league.

It would have been understandable if the Pistons were trying to haggle over a few million dollars. But the initial reports suggested a major gap in the negotiations, and this declaration of matching any offer for Duren out there could be a sabotage tactic to deincentivize teams from taking the meetings with him seriously.

In conclusion, no one can certainly say what is going to happen to Jalen Duren’s future in Detroit, but this sudden change of heart amid the rising buzz around the 22-year-old All-Star might leave a sour taste in some mouths for people close to Duren.

Newsletter

Stay up to date with our newsletter on the latest news, trends, ranking lists, and evergreen articles

Follow on Google News

Thank you for being a valued reader of Fadeaway World. If you liked this article, please consider following us on Google News. We appreciate your support.

Share This Article
Chaitanya Dadhwal is an NBA Analyst and Columnist at Fadeaway World from New Delhi, India. He fell in love with basketball in 2018 after seeing James Harden in his prime. He joined the sports journalism world in 2021, one year before finishing his law school in 2022. He attended Jindal Global Law School in Sonipat, India, where his favorite subject was also Sports Law. He transitioned from law to journalism after realizing his true passion for sports and basketball in particular. Even though his journalism is driven by his desire to understand both sides of an argument and give a neutral perspective, he openly admits he is biased towards the Houston Rockets and Arsenal. But that intersection of in-depth analysis and passion helps him simplify the fine print and complex language for his readers.His goal in life is to open his own sports management agency one day and represent athletes. He wants to ensure he can help bridge the gap in equal opportunity for athletes across various sports and different genders playing the same sport.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *